Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Bitterweet trip to Vegas

During my chemo treatments last summer, Nancy and I decided we would take a short vacation after I recovered from surgery. We had visited Las Vegas last January and had a great time, so we decided Vegas would be a good place to see a couple of shows, to eat at interesting restaurants, and to get our minds off of the events of the past eight months. Why the word bittersweet in the title of this blog? My 45 year-old cousin, Rick Whitmer, died Monday after a short battle with cancer. It just doesn’t seem right that I am in Vegas celebrating my outcome from cancer and Rick lost his life from it. I know it is something that can not be understood or explained, I just have to live the life that I am given.

Rick was a wonderful, wonderful man who had a soft heart and a gentle spirit. He greeted people with his infectious smile and always made others feel good about themselves. Rick TRULY was one of the good ones in life - that is why it is so difficult to understand his death.

Rick is survived by his wife Jennifer; his children John, Ben, Joseph, Richard, Rebecca, and Samantha; his parents Rosa Lee and Richard; and his siblings Mike, Mark, Dennis and Denise. My heart goes out to Rick’s family because I know how much they loved him and gave to Rick during his short illness. And, I know they will miss him dearly.

No comments: