Friday, June 26, 2009

Harvest and swimming

Hello everybody, the Thielen Farms gang and I have been very, very busy the last few weeks. Harvest started on Tuesday, June 23. In addition to harvesting the wheat crop, we have also been planting milo, drilling soybeans, fixing fence and searching for heifers who walked through the fence, swathing oats, baling oats, and making lots and lots of repairs to machinery.

Kelly has made the 9600 combine her home for the last several days. If you have to have a home away from home in the heat, the 9600 is the piece of machinery to drive. It is comfortable, relatively quiet and clean, and the air conditioner works.

Nancy is Susan's personal assistant. That means she does everything. I love that hat - it is a retro Thielen Beef hat from the 80's.

I took this photo from the truck. I just learned forward from the driver's seat and snapped the photo. Kevin was giving me directions about our next move.

Garrett rode with me in the tractor that pulled the grain cart. Unfortunately, the air conditioner was not working on this day so Garrett and I wrapped ourselves in wet towels to endure the 100+ temperatures.

We also drank lots and lots of water.

What happens when the rest of us are in the field? The kids swim at the play park at the farm. We have a couple of different water features for the kids. I wanted to take a photo of Kelly and Anna, but Sam stepped in the frame when I took the photo. He is a happy child.

Kelly and Anna

Anna being Anna

Sam

Garrett sliding down the whale pool

1 comment:

Jody said...

Thanks for sharing the photos! Looks like a hot, fun day of swimming!