Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Day to Honor my Dad and my brother-in-law Joe

What are your stories or memories that you would like to share about Dad and Joe?

Today, November 15, would have been my Dad's 84th birthday. Happy birthday Dad, I love you and miss you very much! For his birthday photo I chose one of him in uniform because I also want to acknowledge his military service since we just celebrated Veteran's Day. Dad served in WWII in the Army Air Force. He flew 33 missions on a B-17 from England to Germany.

Today is a day for stories of my loved ones. When I think of Dad, I see him sitting in the Dorrance High School gymnasium running the clock and scoreboard for basketball games. Dad loved sports so it was a natural fit for him. However, Dad would sometimes forget to start or stop the clock because he would become so engrossed in the game. The fans would yell at Dad to stop the clock or start the clock. Dad was a calm guy and never got unsettled by the chaos. He just enjoyed the moment.

Another one of my favorite Dad memories is how he loved fishing. He always used a Zebco 33 reel and, for bait, he used worms, stink bait, or shad. His pick-ups were always littered with fishing odds and ends. Dad didn't need fancy equipment, he just loved sitting on a five-gallon bucket at the edge of the river. One more thing - he caught lots of fish, but I think he liked the process as much the result.

These photos are of my brother-in-law Joe Thielen, they were taken during his time of military service in Vietnam in 1967. I wanted to post these photos on Veterans Day, November 11, but instead I posted photos of Kevin and Barbara because that date is also their birthdays. Anyway, I just wanted to share these photos with you and let you know that I am thinking of Joe and his service to our country. Of course, I am also thinking of Joe in so many other ways as well. Joe died on January 2, 2006. I miss him......

You can click on these photos to see them in a larger size.

One of my favorite memories of Joe is when he gave me rides on his prized possession - his horse Red. I was only 10 years old at the time, so you can imagine how much it meant to get to ride on the horse of the coolest guy in town. Ok, ok, so maybe it had something to do with the fact that he wanted to date my older sister Susan. After second thought, I am going with the idea that he just wanted to give ME a ride, he was just that kind of guy.

Another one of my favorite Joe stories is when he was bucked off of one of the most trusted horses on the farm. Now, that part of the story is not interesting - the part of the story that is interesting was that Matt and I had saddled the horses for all of us earlier in the day and had taken them to the Huttie Place for all of us to gather cows. While we were saddling the horses, we gave them watermelon as a treat. (I am sure the watermelons were in plentiful supply for us from my Dad's watermelon patch. You know when you have enough melons to share with the horses, that there are lots of melons around.) We later learned that watermelon can upset a horse's gut and make them act unusually. Anyway, the plan was that Matt and I would ride out an hour or so before everyone else so that we could get the cows gathered around the pond and then the rest of the crew would meet us there to move the herd to the corral. Matt and I did our part and could not figure out what was taking everyone else so long to get there. Well, we later learned that when Joe got on his horse, he was immediately bucked off and landed hard on the ground. I think he tweaked his back and I am sure he was mad at the horse. Now remember, these horses were gentle and well trusted, so Joe was shocked that the horse bucked. I am not sure Matt and ever told Joe that we fed his horse melons. I am thinking that Joe knows now.

What are some of your favorite memories of Dad and Joe?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still see many reminders of Grandpa Siefers around here. Because we still live in Grandma & Grandpa's house and still have the same blue couch they used to have I often picture him sitting at the end of the couch watching TV with the newspaper sitting on the couch next to him. The other reminder I see around town is his last "fishing truck," the neighbors 2 doors down have that truck. I see them driving around in the red and white Ford ranger and always think of Casey headed out to a fishing hole.

Joe--he was always so kind to me. I remember him raising a glass of champagne to toast the engagement of Joey & I at a back yard BBQ at the farm. He made everything special. I also remember how much he worried about me when I was pregnant with Anna. He even sent some flowers to my office in Frankfort a week or 2 before she was born. I still believe he was hanging on just so he could see her. I miss him too.
Kelly

Anonymous said...

I can readily identify with everything Mary Kay said about dad. He was a people person and love supporting the small town of Dorrance. He not only attended the ballgames he went to most of the practices as well. Dad worked at the post office and when he got off at 430p he would head to the high school and watch whatever sporting practice was going on. I remember he would just slip into the gym and sit quietly. He drove an old green pickup and you could find it in the fall at the football field daily before he went to the farm to feed his pigs. I also remember that the coach was right no matter how we saw it. We could use more of that attitude today! It didn't do the Siefers kids any good to complain about teachers either....they were right...end of conversation! Dad was wise way beyond his years!!! Happy Birthday! Hope the fishing is great! Debbie

Wow to name my favorite memory of Joe is so hard because there were years of them! But here is the last one... We moved into our new house in December of 2005 right when Joe was so sick but he came one time to see it. I know that was an extreme effort for him and Susan but Joe knew how proud we were of it. That is just one example of him and how he was right up until he died...always thinking of someone else! Hardly a day goes by that I don't think about him and wish for a few more days...someday! Love you Joe!

I can see him smiling about Garrett, Anna, Hallie, Sam,Brooklyn and Natalie!

Anonymous said...

Here are my memories. One of my favorite memories of Casey was seeing how happy he was to see Mary Kay when we visited. One of the first things he liked to talk about with her was "how about those Cats" and then talk about the latest game (mostly football and basketball). From others you hear about his going to games. I remember when Mary Kay took him to his last K-State Women's Basketball game. It made him so happy and he and Mary Kay sat on the floor because Casey was in a wheelchair.

One of my favorite memories of Joe was watching him prepare and execute the First Thielen Reunion at the farm. The plans were elaborate and he really seemed to enjoy talking to everyone. He was so very proud of his family and wanted everyone to know each other. What a wonderful family man...family was very important to him. Susan fulfilled Joe's wish for another family event this summer by inviting all the John and Elizabeth Thielen children's families to Dorrance.

Nancy