Saturday, April 24, 2010

Open House Fun

Nancy and her sisters Jane and Barbara outside the Leadership Studies Building. This photo was taken last Sunday just before Nancy and Jane left on their driving vacation through the northwest US. As of today, they have made their way through Colorado, Utah and Boise, Idaho. They are visiting their Uncle Ed in Boise and then will head to Seattle. I am not sure when they will return home, but Nancy said something about two or three weeks! They haven't made any reservations or commitments to be anywhere at a certain time. I am definitely jealous and, of course, I miss Nancy.

Hallie and Sam played tag in our backyard.

More tag

Ah finally, the catch or, in this case, Hallie tackled Sam.

Same loves baseball. I am not sure who taught him the pitcher's leg kick, but he uses it when he pitches the baseball.

I think he is going to be a baseball player.

Same and his grandma Susan played a game of baseball in my backyard.

Hallie decided she was bored with the traditional way on going down the slipper slide so she tried the head first version. Susan and I took Hallie and Sam to the park while the rest of the crew were still at K-State's open house.

The K-State open house crew: back row adults Kate (Kelly's sister), Kelly, Susan, and John (Kelly's dad); front row kids Anna, McKenzie, Garrett, Hallie and Sam. We started at 9 am on Saturday.

One of our first stops was at the outdoor amphitheater at the Leadership Studies Building. The kids performed interpretive dances - I am not sure what music they were dancing to, but they had a great time.

McKenzie played the 'stack the cup' game.

Great smile Sam!

Some of the Leadership Studies staff and students dressed as characters from the board game Clue.

Sweet Kelly

Sweet Hallie

Kelly and Susan brought the kids to our house in Manhattan on Friday night so that we could get an early start on open house Saturday morning. They decided to sleep together on the floor as they watched a movie. This scene lasted about five minutes, then they all scattered. Hallie and Anna slept with me - as did Kramer and Pearl. It might just have been the worst night's sleep I've had recently. It is not that they hogged the bed or kicked me, I just kept waking up worrying about them falling out of bed or getting too cold. Kramer laid next to Anna all night while Pearl slept near Hallie all night. I think the dogs felt a little responsibility to take care of the girls.

We started Friday evening with a picnic and then quickly moved to the hot tub for relaxation. Just kidding on the relaxing part, for some reason the kids see the hot tub as a small swimming pool rather than an opportunity to relax and rejuvenate.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Sounds like great fun...which I could have been there...I just love those Slumber Parties!

Kelly (Reilly) Thielen said...

Thanks for hosting us last weekend. We all had a great time. I hope you have your house put back together and filled the hot tub back up. I think just a little water got splashed out while the kids were "swimming."

Kelly