Thursday, April 2, 2009

My brother Bill

Today's post is going to be about Bill. He called to say he is going to have back surgery in Wichita next week. Hopefully, the surgery will be successful and he will be pain free. Let's all send good energy Bill's way so that he can return from surgery a new man.

As you know from my previous posts, my Dad's funeral was on March 13 in Dorrance and Alicia's (Bill's daughter) wedding was on March 14 in Las Vegas. Before Bill left for Alicia's wedding, he wrote a few thoughts that he wanted read at Dad's funeral. I have wanted to share them on my blog and now seems to be the right time. So, here it is, these are Bill's words that Susan read at Dad's funeral.

Today we celebrate my dad’s life. I couldn’t be here today as my daughter Alicia, who is Dad’s oldest granddaughter, is getting married tomorrow in Las Vegas. I am where
Dad would want me to be. I am with my daughter at her wedding. Supporting his family was Dad’s first priority.

My dad was one of the wisest men I’ve ever known. He taught me a lot of things and the value of family is only one of them. He taught me a little hard work never hurt anyone, although at the time, I was sure it would hurt me. He taught my sisters and me that we could do anything we believed in, and he taught us to believe in ourselves. Dad led by his example. He was a man of strong faith and raised us to be Christians, even if we didn’t realize it till later. He taught us to be faithful to God, family and friends, but, most of all, to ourselves.

I will miss my dad so much. I’ll miss his wittiness, his laughter and his smile. I will miss his stories of growing up in the depression, being a bombardier in WWII, and his never ending love for his kids, grandkids and great grandkids. I could go on for hours about the awesome man my dad was and still is to me---but as the only son with three sisters, I’ve learned to keep it short because they would barely let me get a word in edgewise.

My peace is knowing Dad is with me everyday now. He is with God, a place we all want to be. In heaven, he has no pain. He walks with an even gait without a shuffle, his hands are strong and steady, and his memory is ever so clear. And his love lives on through all of us.

Love,
Bill

No comments: