Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bale hauling party

It never fails, whenever I get my camera out for a photo, I always get attacked by the tractor. Notice Matt in the cab - he has a feisty look on his face.

On Wednesday we hauled 600+ straw and oat bales from the fields to the farm. We had three rigs that were loaded with bales in the field by Joey, we then drove to the farm where Matt unloaded the trucks, and we did that over and over again. My truck held 16 bales at one time, the other two trucks held 26 and 23 bales. Oh, one more thing, just like harvest, I was in the truck with NO air conditioning! How does that always work that way? I have to give a shout out to Joey because he also was without AC today. Did I mention that it was 105?

Matt was being silly - he really didn't stack them 4 high.

Matt made a huge three-level stack with the straw bales.

Bales, bales, bales

Joey loaded the straw bales onto the trucks and then we drove to the farm where Matt unloaded them.

Have I ever said before that whenever I get the camera out to take a photo of this process, the person driving the tractor always heads straight for me like they are going to stab me in the heart with the prongs?

My rig loaded with 16 straw bales to take from the field to the farm. I just realized that the word 'farm' means the place where the house and feedlots are located. Farm is a word that has several different meanings.

Joey drove the payloader all day - that's right, it doesn't have air conditioning so he left the windows and doors open to get a little relief from the 100+ temperatures. Did I mention it was dusty and windy today? I think this qualifies for a Dirty Jobs episode.

1 comment:

Jody said...

Looks like hot, dirty work! Did you remind them that it's your birthday week and you're supposed to take it easy? Did the kids get in on the action? One of my highlights of visiting the Thielen farm was to play on the hay bales.