Thursday, April 17, 2008

Cancer Update - Actually there isn't much to update

Nancy and I met with Dr Sharma at the Cancer Center in Kansas City on Wednesday. It was a fairly uneventful appointment - of course, that is good news. My blood work was good with the exception of vitamin D deficiency. I have taken mega doses of vitamin D, but I am still needing to work on getting that level up a little more. The other issue is that I have been having neck/upper back pain. Dr Sharma thinks that is one of the side effects of Femara, it can cause joint pain. It has been significant enough in the last several weeks that I am taking ibuprofen daily and a pain pill several times a week. Of course, that neck pain is also my reason to get in the hot tub daily, if not more. Have I said lately how much I love that hot tub?

Dr Sharma also wants me to start exercising regularly and too loose weight. Imagine that! She suggested any form of exercise that I can do regularly. Nancy and I have been walking the dogs at the local dog park. We usually walk 30 - 45 minutes and it is up and down hills. I will probably start going to a fitness center to do weight bearing exercises as well. I guess lugging my body around is not weight bearing enough!

My next appointment will be a bone mineral density test because Femara can cause bone density issues. Then on July 16 I will have a bone scan and ct scan of my chest and abdomen. I would have loved to had the scans today - I think we all want reassurance that the cancer has not returned. So now I will have to wait a little longer for that assurance. This is something I will have to live with - the fear or thought that the cancer will return.

BIG NEWS - I have not had a pop in three days. Why? I am trying to feel better, so I thought that might be a way I could contribute to my overall health. Those of you who know me well, know that giving up pop is a huge step for me. The cravings have been significant, but so far I have survived on drinking tea to get my caffeine buzz.

Love to all,
Mary Kay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! No pop. Now who are my kids going to mooch pop from? I'm proud of you!

Kelly