Sunday, January 25, 2009

Thoughts from Mary Kay

My ‘cancer’ blog has now become a way to share happenings in my life. Well, actually, I mostly share photos as a way to let you know what Nancy and I are doing. I am fortunate that I don’t have much to share about cancer. I am one of the lucky ones right now because the disease is not interfering with my daily life. I am choosing my words carefully because I don’t want to make cancer mad. I don’t want to give cancer a reason to come back and be angry with me. I started my journey with this disease by saying I was going to kick cancer’s ass. Now I don’t want to be so aggressive or boastful about this ordeal. I look at things differently and know it is about winning little victories – daily victories – as opposed to one big fight. With that said I want to say right away – I am fine. I have no evidence of disease!

Highlights of my cancer journey:
May 11, 2007 – found the lump
May 18, 2007 – Dr said “I wish I had better news, it is cancer”
June 5, 2007 – started chemo at KU Med
September 13, 2007 – last of eight chemo treatments
October 2, 2007 – surgery, bilateral mastectomy
December 25, 2007 –spent a week in Salina hospital with bad infection
January 18, 2008 – surgery at KU Med to clean up infection
July 2008 – clean scans

So, it has been a year since my last major ordeal with my cancer journey. I do take the drug, Femara, daily and will continue that for another 4 years. It does have side effects – mainly joint pain, sore hands, and painful feet. I can live with it. Isn’t that the point? It allows me to live.

I am still seeing my oncologist, Dr Sharma, every three months. She said if my scans are clean in July 2009, I can move to the 6 month schedule of visiting with her. At my appointment last week, I saw a woman who was obviously distraught about her visit with Dr Sharma. As Nancy and I waited to schedule our next appointment, this woman (with her support team of two other women – maybe her sisters) was scheduling all of the pre-chemo appointments. Nancy and I knew exactly what was happening, she was getting ready to start chemo – again. She was wearing a wig, so she hadn’t been off chemo too long. That is why I am hesitant to be too boastful about my current status.

I am also thinking about Kay Yow, the basketball coach at North Carolina State who died on Saturday of breast cancer. She had fought a very public battle with the disease for many years. In fact, she inspired others to give money for cancer research and to help with public awareness. College basketball teams will be involved in the Pink Zone campaign in February to raise awareness and collect research funds. I will definitely be wearing pink during the next few weeks in honor of all who have been affected by cancer.

Have a great day and Laugh, Live, and Love!
Mary Kay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but you have been an inspiration to me. I work for Andy Andrews- he is a friend of your cousin Blaine. January 2008 I was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Blaine and Andy told me about your site, and I have been "lurking" and being inspired over the past year. Thanks for a great attitude and all the familial love you share on your site. It is outstanding!

Congrats on your good outcome. I have undergone diagnosis, chemo, bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and radiation. I finished my herceptin treatments last month. Today I had a PET scan - for my own peace of mind more than anything else. (I was HER2+ but negative on hormone receptors) The whole journey seems more than a little surreal. Just wanted to let you know how you have helped me.

Doreen Gospodarek
Gospodarek_3@msn.com
Castle Rock, CO