Thursday, January 10, 2008

The S Word

A quick update from my visit with my oncologist and surgeon today at KU Med. The day started with a visit with Dr Sharma, my oncologist. She took one look at my red incision site and said I needed to see Dr Connor, the surgeon. Actually, Nancy and I had a good visit with Dr Sharma even though I don't have much to report from her. Most of my day was focused on this crazy infection - imagine that. I had another sonogram - the fourth one since December 28. This time there was no fluid that could be drained. That is when Dr Connor mentioned the S word to me - surgery. So, on next Wednesday, January 16, Dr Connor will take me to surgery at KU Med to 'clean' my infected area, place a drain - yuk, and remove my port. I am the third or fourth surgery of the day for her, so she expects to start around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. If all goes well, I will be able to go home that night. If my condition worsens between now and next Wednesday, Dr Connor will do the surgery as an emergency.

I am not dreading this 'little' surgery because I see it as action to help me feel better. I am still feeling the effects of the bah humbug bug that landed me in the hospital between Christmas Day and New Year's day. My energy level is still low and my body aches. The right breast incision area is still swollen and red, but it is getting a little better. Have I mentioned the havoc that taking lots of antibiotics can have on one's intestinal tract? It is not pleasant. That's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi MK and Nancy!
It's good to know what is wrong, and that surgery can take care of it! That is a busy day at KU Med - Susan will be there, too, for her back, and I will be there, too, for my every 3 month monitoring check-up with Dr. Fabian. My friend Gail suggests that we get a van from the Motorpool!! Or do a caravan from Manhattan. Do they give group rates at KU Med? Hopefully no one else needs to join the group!! Thanks for my belated birthday wishes - from my picture, it looks like I need some neck surgery, to take care of my falling chins! Take care, much love, Grace