Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Recovery is going well

Hello Friends,

As I write this blog entry, I am looking out my bedroom window at falling snow. Is anyone else ready for Spring? My surgery went well on Tuesday, I went in the surgery room around 1:30 and actually left the hospital at 5:30ish. I battled nausea and vomiting until midnight, but I feel much better today. Dr Connor removed my port, fluid under my arm and in the back area, and skin and tissue from the infected site. She also inserted a drain to collect the fluid so that it does NOT accumulate and cause problems. When I had my bilateral mastectomy on October 2, I had four drains and hated them. This time the drain is not bothering me, I think it is because I don’t have much sensitivity in the area. And, this time I did not have body parts removed. Could that have something to do with the pain level being much less this time? Anyway, back to this surgery. Dr Connor sent the skin, tissue, fluid and port to the lab for evaluation and culture to try to identify the bug. I am not expecting any positive news because I have had the fluid cultured in Salina and Manhattan without a positive identification.

I will take a few days to recover, but I do hope to return to class next week. Chris Lydick, a talented teaching assistant, is helping me this semester with class. Chris is a Leadership Studies graduate and has co-taught several of our classes as a graduate student. He will graduate in May with a master’s degree in computer engineering and then start his PhD in the Fall.

Nancy’s sister, Jane, came from Lincoln, Nebraska, to spend a few days with us and pamper her sister. I love having Jane here because she seems to know just how to take care of us. Nancy has been running on empty lately taking care of Frances and me so she deserves lots of TLC. Have I mentioned lately how wonderful Nancy is? Even if I have mentioned it, let me say it again – Nancy is a saint. She has a gentle heart that glows with love, kindness, and generosity. AND, she puts up with me. That tells you the most about her!

Love to all,
Mary Kay

I know I posted a photo of Frances and Nancy a couple of weeks ago, but I felt the need to share another photo of them. Frances is like a second Mom, and Nancy is very, very good to Frances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear your surgery went well -- and you certainly left the class in capable hands. Though Chris told me he misses you in class. I loved the video blog, too -- keep 'em coming! It's great to hear your voice again -- and see your suave Uncle Steve-inspired hairdo.

I love you, Momma.