Monday, May 21, 2007

First entry

This has been an amazing week for me. I found out on Friday, May 18, 2007, that I have breast cancer. It all started on May 11 - that is the day I found the lump in my left breast. It was the last day of finals week and I was feeling pretty good about doing 'nothing' this summer. I was lying on my side in bed, watching television - the Today Show - and I found the lump. I immediately called my doctor for for an appointment - I picked up Nancy from work and saw my doctor at 9:30. That appointment started a anxious week of waiting.... Mammogram and ultrasound on Monday morning, biopsy on Wednesday morning, a call from my doctor's nurse on Thursday at 4 to say the results hadn't arrived yet, but that my doctor wanted to see me Friday morning at 8:45. There wasn't much doubt after that phone call from the nurse. Anyway, on Friday morning Dr. Minocha said "I wish I had better news for you." Finally, a week of waiting was over - I have cancer.

Nancy and I canceled our trip to Kristy's wedding in Detroit and went to Dorrance for solitude - no that wasn't why I wanted to go. There is something about going home that soothes the heart and soul. The weekend was great - my brother Bill came and many relatives - and we laughed and joked about cancer. I want to embrace cancer and own it. After all, it is my cancer. I hope to have a party before going to MD Anderson in Houston - it will be the Kick Cancer's Ass Party. I want to have one in Manhattan and one in Dorrance before Nancy, Susan, Deb and I go to Houston for diagnosis and treatment.

Love to All,
Mary Kay

7 comments:

Sue Pray said...

Mary Kay,
You are accomplishing teaching in its highest form. May you soar in enlightening others and making us all more aware about every facet of this journey. You are selfless and wonderful.
Your Friend, Sue Pray

Heather Reed said...

Mary Kay,
This just goes to show cancer can happen to even the nicest, most awesome person in the world. I will send you good thoughts and prayers everyday during your cancer journey.
Love you,
Heather

Jane said...

Mary Kay, Know that Harvey, Sara, Robby and I are thinking of you. You are a sister of my heart for the joy and happiness you bring to my sister, Nancy. Let us know when the Kick Cancer's Ass party in Manhattan is and I'll be there....

wayne.grabbe said...

Mary Kay

If anyone has an attitude of dealing with pressure, it is certainly you. You persevere in everything you have ever done, and I know you are tough and won't give up. Hang in their kid, we are thinking of you

Wayne Grabbe

Mary Nuss said...

Mary Kay,
Teresa told us about your cancer. We know you will kick this cancer's ass. As a former softball teammate I know you don't like to lose - at anything. You will come out the winner in this. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Monte and Mary Nuss

deb said...

We were on at the same time tonight! Should have known. I love you Mary Kay and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers daily. Prayer helps, I know that because I have witnessed it - Enjoy your weekend.

Sue B said...

Mary Kay I would love to party with you at all your Kick Cancers Ass parties. You are beginning a journey that I will be praying for you every night. I was so blessed to have so much support and I can already see you will have the same. There are so many decisions to make and if I can be of any help you can always call anytime. I will be keeping you in my thoughts everyday. Sue Banninger