Friday, May 25, 2007

Roller Coaster Week

What a week....It is Friday night and I feel as if I have been hit by a truck. My body hurts, not from the cancer, but from the emotional roller coaster that I have experienced this week. I started the week with the belief that I would learn of an appointment with MD Anderson in Houston. I was ready to go - Nancy and I had made plans to be in Houston for several days. I waited patiently each day for the phone call from my doctor that would tell me I would be going to Houston in a few days. It didn't happen. The phone call came, but the date for my initial appointment was July 2. I actually broke out in a full sweat as I was on the phone with the nurse. The body aches that I am feeling right now - Friday night - are probably from my body's response while hearing the date - July 2. The disbelief hit me hard. I guess I thought MD Anderson would take ME right away. Looking back, it was probably a self-centered idea that I was so special that my cancer would be so important that they would call me right away and say Come Now. I have a sneaking suspicion that this CANCER will humble me many more times before this is over.

Anyway, there is news to share from today. I have TWO appointments for next week: one on Tuesday at KU Med and one on Thursday in Topeka. Which one should I take? Or should I take both of them? The answer: I am going to KU Med (Dr Sharma) on Tuesday thanks to my friend Grace Hwang. She just finished her treatment for breast cancer at KU Med. Amazing that the same week my colleague and friend completed her treatment for breast cancer, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My doctor made the second appointment for me with the oncologist (Dr Einspahr) in Topeka. I might just go to both of them.

Now for the weekend - Nancy, Kramer and I are going to Dorrance for a few days of fun at my sister Susan's farm. I am sure there will be lots of activity, in fact, my nephew Matt is taking me fishing Monday morning at 5 am north of Bunker. Then we will go to the Memorial Day parade at 10 am.
I hope you can walk with me in the parade. There will be lots of other activities during the weekend - playing with great nieces and nephews, visiting friends, cooking, eating, sleeping, bathing Kramer after he rolls in cow pooh - you get the picture.

With love,
Mary Kay

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Momma,

Chris just referred me to your site. To be perfectly honest, I don't know what the appropriate way to react is -- but, as you've mentioned in your previous entries, it sounds like you've had a lot of experience with that already. Please know that I am here for you 110% as you were there for me. 302-690-7040.

Love always,
Leigh

Unknown said...

Glad you have appointments sooner than 7/2. Not knowing...ick....

I can't be with you in Dorrance but am thinking and praying for you, Nancy, and your family everyday.

Love, Pat D.
You're a great writer.

Anonymous said...

DMK!
Two things come to mind when I got your news of your new adventure. One is my favorite song right now. Call the Lamas! It is about a child in line at the checkout line as a buddha. His divine buddha nature radiates and envelops all in his presence. Your lights continues to impact my journey.

The second is mooning you! Are you up for a drive by? Maybe we should call Guinness Book to stage a Moon over Manhattan event?

hh