Thursday, July 12, 2007

I've been MAD at cancer for the last few days. I am not sure what it is about, but I think it probably has to do with progressing through stages of this journey. All of the support that I have received really has given me a greater strength to battle this disease. Maybe that is where my feelings of anger toward cancer are coming from? Anyway, I have felt a surge of energy to do battle against the cancer cells in my body which has motivated me to focus on areas in addition to medical treatment to gain an edge in the fight. I have been eating lots and lots of fruits and vegetables to make sure my body has the appropriate nutrition to heal and I have tried to get exercise by walking Kramer several times a day. Usually I have to rest in bed for 30 minutes or so after each walk because it takes so much energy from me to walk the neighborhood.

I am starting to understand the cumulative effects of chemotherapy. It has taken me longer to recover with each chemo treatment. I took my third treatment on July 3rd and this (July 12th) is the first day that I have not had any nausea. After my first treatment on June 5th, I was feeling pretty good after a week and it took about seven or eight days to recover from my second treatment. I did have my port surgery on the morning of my second treatment on June 19 so I know that added a little time to that recovery. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it is taking me longer to recover each time. Chemotherapy is intended to kill the cancer cells and, of course, it takes a heavy toll on 'good' fast growing cells in my body as well. Some of the body's fast growing cells that can be significantly affected by chemo are hair, mouth, and intestinal cells. Most chemo patients lose their hair and endure mouth sores and intestinal challenges - I will leave the intestinal challenges to your imagination - because fast growing cells make up those parts of the body. In addition to those issues, fatigue has been a huge factor in my journey. I am trying to get plenty of rest so that my blood counts are in the safe zone for my next scheduled chemo on July 17. I want to do everything I can to stay on track with my treatment schedule so that I get the optimum response from the drugs AND that I can get this over as soon as possible. Hopefully, the fourth treatment will be my last of the adriamycin and cytoxan drugs!!

I want to send another thank you to all who have supported me in this journey. The concept of FOMK community is a powerful motivator for me. I know I am a member of a community that includes lots of people in Manhattan, Dorrance, Wilson, Russell County, and beyond. I hope you are all having a great day!

Love to all,
Mary Kay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know that your breast friend thinks of you everyday and wants to thank you for sharing so much of yourself thru this journey. You are an amazing woman. AB