Monday, July 30, 2007

Always a Trojan at heart

I have a little trepidation about Tuesday’s chemotherapy session because it will be my first round of Taxol. Everyone says that Taxol is much easier to endure than Adriamycin and Cytoxan – I am hoping they are right. I have always wondered who ‘they’ are when people say things. In this case it is other chemo patients. I will take their word for it. Anyway, Taxol can cause an allergic reaction so I will be monitored fairly closely when the IV drip starts. I will have plenty of company at the treatment as my Mom and sister, Susan, are going to be there in addition to the regulars of Nancy and Jody.

I want to thank all of the Loganites (those crazy people from Logan, Kansas) who have sent me well wishes on the blog. I do miss you (even all of the Jayhawk fans) and hope to see you sometime in the near future. As I reflect on why my five years in Logan were so special, one word that that keeps coming up again and again is community. I am not just referring to the fact that Logan is a small town with a 1A school; I am talking about the many ways in which the town embraced me. The school and related activities were definitely the focus of my time, but I also enjoyed the church community (yes Mom, I did go to church --- well sometimes), the local volleyball team (remember those good times ladies?), all of those after game get-togethers, and lots and lots of social events!! In fact, I probably had a free meal at some point in time with all of Logan!! As Sue Jackson said in her comment, it has been almost 20 years since I left – YIKES. It seems like yesterday. In fact when I saw Barb and Mike Lehning at the basketball games last year at K-State, they looked just the same as the day I left Logan in 1988!! And I am sure I haven’t changed any in 20 years, either.

One of the things I have tried to do with this blog is to keep a list of gratitude notes. I am going to add my five years in Logan to that list because it truly was a positive and life changing time for me. I was so fortunate to have met so many wonderful friends who were ‘salt of the earth’ kind of people with caring spirits. Of all the places that I could have taken my first teaching job right out of K-State in 1983, I ended up a Logan Trojan. Wow, when I think about how things work out, I am amazed how lucky I have been in life.

Love to all,
Mary Kay

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Kay,
Ever since my brother sent me your blog I have been thinking about you and your journey. It has been a long time since I've seen you but Jeremy always keeps us up on what it going on. I sat here and read several days worth of your blog and all I could do was cry. Your strength is amazing. You are an inspiration to all of us. You will always hold a very dear place in my heart. Every time I pick up a clipboard I think of you...HA HA. I will continue to pray for you everyday.
Nicole Lindemann (Lehning)

Anonymous said...

Mary Kay!!

We are kicking Cancer's Ass all the way here in DC!! I really hope you are doing well and that just as you were the brightness that lifted up many of my days I hope that in someway this message will do the same for you!! You continue to be truly amazing in everything you do and whom your life impacts.

I would love to see you when I am in town the 11th-18th :).

Stay safe and you are in my thoughts!

Benny Fenwick

Anonymous said...

Mike & I are thinking about you today. Hope all goes well.
Barb L
PS: You might want to get those contacts cleaned if you think Mike and I look the same as 20 yrs. ago. Wait a minute----maybe you are saying we looked old then. I will ponder this and get back to you when I figure out if that was a compliment or I should be offended. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

a note from a couple of Loganites.
(neighbors across the street) We have you in our thoughts--Surely doesn't seem 20 years since you've been here. Seems as yesterday. Get back with you later. Reno and Charlene Hildebrand

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary Kay!!

Greetings from Phillipsburg, Kansas! Just wanted to jot you a note to let you know we have been thinking and praying for you! You are truly an inspiration to all. And going back to the basketball days (and i do mean back, way back) ha ha!! You were a fantastic coach, that knew what we were capable of, and brought out the best in whatever we did. We were not afraid to work harder, because we knew that you believed in us, and for that we all should be eternally grateful. You touched our lives, and continue to do so in many ways,as i look at the many pictures and articles about friends and family. Hang in there, keep up the faith, and keep kickin' that cancer ass!! Keep in touch!!
Love, Pam (Lowry) Crist

Anonymous said...

Coach Siefers,
That is how I know you after all! My senior year in High School was blessed by you being the new hire! I know it couldn't have been easy putting up with those dry one-liners from my dad, LeRoy! (Bless his soul)! I just heard the news today and wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Fighting the fight is so worth it! Know that I am thinking of you, and just so you know, I still run long, LONG distances even though I've been out of High School for 23 years! Goodness, what a positive influence you have had on so many people - including me!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Mary Kay, I remember a lot of times when you were the pep coach for those Logan girls, now after reading their comments, you HAVE to know what a positive influence you had on building their individual characters. They did what you asked because they cared for you---and they still do after twenty years. Be very proud and pat yourself on the back! We are praying for you to beat this cancer and with all of the encouragement you are getting I am sure that you will do just that! Hope to see you at those KSU football games. I had no clue that you were there--or I would have looked you up. We have a grandson in the Air Force ROTC there so I am sure we will see you at one of the games! Hang in there, we are rootin' for you! Donna L

Anonymous said...

Hey, Siefers!!!

I may or may not have yelled that at you during a RIOT at K-state after a KU game during my Jr year at good old Logan High. Lots of strong women from Logan have beat breast cancer including my Mom, so you can too. Any errors in spelling or grammar my be a direct result of the time I spent with you. As you might remember I liked to spend my time with the ladies.
So God has blessed by me with ----
4 daughters. Ha,Ha, Ha!!!
Well you go ahead and Kick Cancers
ASS!!, We'll all be here Rootin for ya""

Later Ed Holloway,