Saturday, July 14, 2007

Relay for Life and a Quilt Story

I want to give a special 'shout out' to my nephew John Brenneman and his wife Stacia for their amazing work in raising $1,200 for their Relay for Life team!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I know John and Stacia (and their team members) worked throughout the year to raise a team total of $6,000. John and Stacia have such generous and giving spirits and I am thankful they are in my life to support me in my journey.

I did not make it to the Relay for Life in Salina on Friday night because I was afraid to over do it. I am so disappointed that I missed the event, but I know I made the right decision to stay home and rest. As I have said before, I want to stay as healthy as possible so that I can stay on my treatment regimen. I know that John and Stacia put my name on a luminary for the event. It took me some time to really comprehend that MY name needed to be included in the Relay for Life. I have seen it done before, but I NEVER thought my name would show up on one of the lighted bags. In fact, it brought a few tears to my eyes to think that they were walking for me. I know it isn't just me they were walking for, but it is so personal to have your name as one of the survivors. I guess this is another one of those lessons that cancer is going to teach me. I have been aware of Relay for Life for several years now and I have contributed each time someone has asked me. I am ashamed to say that I did not participate in the walk because right NOW it means the world to me to know that so many people are working to raise money to find a cure and to help people like me. This cancer journey certainly has made me see things in a different light. Thank you John and Stacia for helping me learn another one of life's lessons. This photo is of John and Stacia and their beautiful daughter Natalie.


Now I want to share a story that is a little unbelievable. One of the fund raisers for the Relay for Life was the raffle of a quilt that was made by Gayle Lacey who is a very close friend of my sister Debbie. Actually, Gayle is a friend of mine, too, and I like to think of her as one of the best quilters in the world! Anyway, when Gayle made the quilt, she put a label on the back that included a dedication to three people who have been impacted by cancer - I was one of the three to whom she dedicated the quilt. Now for the amazing part of the story - I was the winner of the quilt!! Pretty unbelievable isn't it? Some might say it was meant to be, or that the stars were aligned just right, or there was divine intervention, or just luck - whatever it was, I will cherish that quilt and hope for more divine intervention in my life. Thanks Gayle Lacey

Love to all,
Mary Kay

No comments: