Friday, August 10, 2007

Happy Birthday Aunt Joan


I want to give a special 'birthday shout out' to my wonderful, wonderful, wonderful Aunt Joan. This photo of Aunt Joan and her husband Fred is a classic example of the joy and laughter that she brings to others. Whenever Aunt Joan is around, you know there will be a laughs, teasing, and lots of love for everyone involved. She is a GREAT sister to my Mom. They talk all the time, spend lots of time together, and support each other 100%. I really believe that their relationship has been an example for my family on how to BE THERE for one another. Mom and Aunt Joan have modeled that behavior for us their entire lives. I know they are the foundation to why I have received so much support from my family during my cancer journey. Aunt Joan and her daughter Diann were the brain trust behind the 'Friends of Mary Kay' caps at Mom's birthday party. She also makes a delicious Huntington Chicken casserole. Diann has delivered several meals to my house during my treatment and those of you who know Diann's cooking skills know that the food is out of this world! I just can't say enough about the love I have for Aunt Joan and her family. Thanks Aunt Joan for being such a powerful role model in my life!! And - have a great birthday!!

Love to all,
Mary Kay

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary Kay~

Just wanted to say greetings from across the Pond... I saw your story in the Collegian and then found your blog. I'm glad you are looking forward to getting back into the school year... It's a good place, the Leadership Studies House. And I am glad you are finding such strength to manage everything. I will toast to your Kicking Cancer's Arse!

~ Patrice

Anonymous said...

Mary Kay,

I also wanted to say thanks for always caring so much back at K-State. Having been away from that cultural context, I can safely say that that sense of deeper purpose was one of the greatest gifts I took for granted... The educators here have no sense of compassion for or connection to others who share their environment. I have got some stories that I'll have to catch you up on once I submit my thesis Monday... : )

Anonymous said...

I agree, just try and keep up with the sisters. Good thing cell phones are in existance, otherwise you won't catch either one.

Gordon

Anonymous said...

I second what Mary Kay and Gordon had to say about Aunt Joan and Mom. They have been great examples of what a family should be. As for Aunt Joan, there is laughter and joy everywhere she goes. (Oh yes, I should add Big Mouth Momma Frog jokes.) She is a wonderful, caring, compassionate person. Happy Birthday, Aunt Joan!

Love, Susan

Anonymous said...

Oh the Kaufman sisters are quite the force to be recognied with.
And yes we agree, cell phones are wonderful to help keep up with the two of them.

Anonymous said...

Mary Kay,

You rock girl! You are in our thoughts and prayers everyday! Sparky and Daisy are thinking of you also.

Your former neighbors,

Colleen & Jum Hill

Anonymous said...

Love the photos. That impulse buy is doing wonders! LOVE the dialogue on this site also. Wow do you ever appreciate others in your life. Now this is what life should be about - if we kept this focus, we would all be just fine!
:)

Ade

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it any better! Aunt Joan is an awesome lady and always has time to help everyone! Not only that she does it with a kind word and a smile on her face! Diann got a lot of her cooking ability from her mother except maybe she doesn't have any stock in Kellogg's!(Aunt Joan adds cereal to everything because it is "good" for you) I think the Kaufman girls inherited a lot of good traits from George and Eva. Let's hope we can be so lucky! Debbie