Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Dad, Taxol, Logan, and Love

First thing first, my Dad is in the hospital in Hays because of difficulty with bladder and catheter issues. He is scheduled for surgery on Thursday to clean up some of the problems. I must have sensed something with his health issues last week when I felt the need to post his picture at the top of my blog. Anyway, I do not think this is too serious, but you know how it is when someone you love is in pain. I want to be with him to support and love him. I hope to make the trip on Thursday, but I will wait to see about my chemo side effects. I want to give a special 'shout out' to LaVern who helped us get Mom home so she could be with Dad in Hays. Wouldn't you know it, Mom was visiting me when Dad went in the hospital. That is just the way it goes. Anyway, LaVern is a dynamic woman who has brought her cheerful influence to my Uncle Ken and my family.

I had another great support team for my first Taxol treatment on Tuesday, July 31. As you can see from the photo, Nancy, Mom, Rebecca, Jody, and Susan were there to add a little spice – or should I say sweetness – to my long ordeal. The photo was taken at 7:30 pm as you can see from the clock in the photo. The pre-meds took about 45 minutes and then the Taxol drip took 3 hours. So, we did not get home until 11:15. Taxol is not supposed to have nausea as one of the side effects – YEAH. It can cause numbness in the hands and feet as well as significant joint pain. It can also cause an allergic reaction, but I am probably in the clear because that usually happens in the first few minutes of the IV drip. The chemo nurse stayed in the room for fifteen minutes w ith her ‘tackle box’ that contained the secret potion to in case I had the dreaded response.

Rebecca brought a cookie that she had decorated (in her car) with the NO sign across Red Devil. Thank goodness I am done with the Adriamycin or Red Devil that caused so many unpleasant side effects. The cookie and special decoration really brightened my day and, of course, met the needs of my sweet tooth. My nieces Rebecca and Jody have been working hard to get ‘favorite niece’ status so Jody, not to be outdone by Rebecca, brought Arby’s sandwiches for supper. Then, neither one would leave early because they did not want the other one to get points for staying the latest. Yes, they both stayed until the very last drop of Taxol entered my body. I think it is a tie right now for favorite niece. I love them dearly! I think their parents did a great job of raising them OR I did a great job of spoiling them.

We did have fun trying to come up with a slogan for my pre-surgery party. Yes, I like to celebrate everything – it is a Siefers’ family tradition as well as something we do well at Leadership Studies. The slogan that seemed to get the most votes was ‘ Ta ta, ta ta’s’. Yes you have to put the right pronunciation and emphasis on the words – the first two ta ta’s are like saying bye bye, and the second two ta ta’s are like saying breast breast. So, ta ta, ta ta’s!! I might have a contest for the best slogan for the ‘goodbye to the breasts’ party. Of course, we had fun with lots of other sayings and laughed so much that one of the nurses came in and said we were interrupting their sleep! Of course, it was a joke. In fact, the nurse said they all wanted to come to my room to join the fun. I want to thank my support team for being there during treatment – it makes a not so fun experience one from which lifelong memories are made.

Logan people ROCK!!! Thanks for all of the encouraging comments, prayers, and reminiscing from my time in Logan. For all of you who said nice things about me, I want you to know that I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY ABOUT YOU, TOO. Good relationships are built on both parties giving, so I would never have had the impact on you if YOU HAD NOT IMPACTED ME. I loved my five years with you and feel like you are part of my family.

One memory that popped in my head today was camaraderie at the local eating establishment. During the course of the meal, folks would sit and talk with me and then I would go talk with others as they ate. Many times I forgot to pay my bill – I know many of you are questioning if that was on purpose or not. With all of the conversation and moving from one table to the next, by the time I left the restaurant, I just forgot to pay. The owner never called me or said anything, he just keep the ticket at the cash register and added it to my bill next time. That is a great example of living in a small town where people trust each other and feel a great sense of community.

I do have one ‘not so positive’ experience from Logan that I have never been able to get out of my memory. I lived in the Lehning’s rental house that was right next door to their house. For some reason Mike had to mow the lawn at 6:00 am on Saturday mornings. And it seemed as though he would let that mower idle outside my bedroom window just to make sure I heard it. Mike, what was up with that? Other than the early morning mowing, Barb and Mike were great landlords!!
I want to thank my ‘Logan friends’ for the cap that was delivered to my house today. I will cherish that cap because it will remind me of all the good students, friends and community members that made a positive impact on my life. Your encouragement has given me a boost to fight this cancer with every ounce of energy I have! I hope to someday be able to repay your kindness and generosity of spirit.

Love to all,
Mary Kay

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW........ You're a natural in that Trojan cap! Hope Tuesday and since has gone well. I have a season ticket in the north endzone. Would love to visit with you if you go to any games. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you. Craig

Anonymous said...

Mary Kay
Don't know if you'll remember me but I was in your brother's class at Dorrance High School and I'm Randy Hoke's sister, LaRee. I was diagonosis with breast cancer in the fall of 2005 and had surgery and chemo and then a follow up course of treatment till last December. I am fine now and know that you will come through with flying colors also. I will keep you and your family in my prayers and hope that all will go well for you.
LaRee Bretz,
Lucas, Kansas

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm so glad Barb sent me your web page!! Now more of us at Logan can harass you!! You continue to have such a positive outlook on life which is contagious to anyone reading your blogs. Thank you for your humor and spirit! Your family sounds tremendous and such a great support group!! We are about to be grandparents for the third time. Monica has two girls and is expecting a third (believe it or not--it's a boy!!) anytime now! Jenny is working at a bank in Salina, and Rhea has just started a job as a school social worker for the Junction City School District. She lives in Manhattan. We make it down for most of the football games and would love to stop and see you if you aren't afraid to tell us where you live!!! We'll keep praying for you. Thanks again for the daily updates!
Marc and Tam Kemper

Anonymous said...

We also have tickets to the KSU games (in the north end zone)and I looked up your phone and address in the white pages--before you had a chance to hide it! haha So we will hope to see you when we are in Manhattan. Hope all is going well for you. With everyone praying for you, you have an awesome team. Donna Lowry PS The hat looks good on you--you always were a wonderful Trojan!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you were feeling well enough to make fun of your OLD landlord. In my defense I would like to point out to you that 6:00 a.m. your time would actually be about 10:30 in regular people time. Besides I think I only idled outside of your window if Sat. fell on the first of the month and I was trying to get my rent check. I notice that everyone is telling you how they have K-State football tickets---well Barb and I are not as rich as those people so we don't have any. We do have K-State women's BB tickets so we can go watch our favorite Wildcat player and her teammates work their magic. Hope to see you there this year in the "cheap seats".
Take care of yourself.
Mike L