Monday, August 13, 2007

Photo of the Day - my grand niece Hallie




Summer is over!! Today was my first day back to work after my relaxing summer - oops, I mean, after my summer of chemotherapy. As I stated in an earlier post, this is not what I had in mind for the summer of Mary Kay. I was going to work in the yard, do a ton of projects around the house, travel, and visit friends and relatives. Instead, I traveled to KC every two weeks for treatments. Right now when I think of the first 4 treatments of Red Devil, I cringe at the thought of the nausea and chemo brain. Enough of that - I made it through the worst of chemo!! Yeah..

My treatment day has been changed to Thursday because the KU Med Cancer Center has moved to a new building. I am not sure why the move changes my treatment day, but I guess the move has changed more than just the building. The new center is about five minutes south of KU Med. The treatment on Thursday will be my second of four Taxol treatments. If things go according to plan, I will take my last chemo treatment on September 13!! That is one month from today!!

Right now, things seem to be going too slow for me. When I took the Adriamycin and Cytoxan treatments, I felt as if I was doing something for the cancer because I felt sick all the time. It was a reminder that I had cancer and that I was fighting it. Without the significant side-effects from the Taxol, I feel as if I am NOT fighting the cancer. I know that sounds crazy, but the bad side effects from the first 4 treatments kept me from looking too far ahead. Now, all I can think about is getting to surgery. I feel the need to knock on wood about my statements on the limited side effects of Taxol. The superstitious side of me is telling me that I might regret that statement.
I want to send a special 'shout out' to my Dorrance friends Donna Fay and Teresa. They (and Donna Fay's daughter-in-law Jessica) stopped by for a visit on Friday evening AND brought homemade bierocks and kolaches!! There is nothing like a little home cooking from Dorrance to brighten my day. Donna Fay suggested that I freeze the beirocks - not a chance. Nancy and I ate them on Saturday!! Thanks ladies for the visit and food - please come back as soon as possible because the goodies are goners. I just had to take a photo of the kolaches and bierocks just to make your mouth water!

I also want to give a special 'shout out' to all who have been supporting me throughout this journey. Your support is truly appreciated and I hope that I can return the favor in some way. Let's all commit to love and laughter!

Love and laughter to all,
Mary Kay

2 comments:

Unknown said...

MK

Its great to have you back in the office. For some reason i look forward for you to ask me how my L. Life is going. BTW Kolaches are an amazing thing. Good luck this Thursday.

Brett B

Anonymous said...

I can see Matt all over that little Hallie Jo! What a cutie!
(Hallie Jo that is)
Aunt Debbie