Monday, August 6, 2007


Why has it been six days since my last post? Several reasons come to mind: I don’t have that much to say; I’ve been really, really tired; or I’ve been really busy (you know that isn’t the case.) The first two are true.

A quick update on my Dad – he is doing well and back at the Wilson Nursing Center (or whatever the official name is this month because it changes owners so often) – I will call it the Wilson Nursing Center to make it easy on me.

The side effects from my first Taxol treatment on July 31 have been much BETTER than the Adriamycin and Cytoxan side effects. I did not have any nausea or chemo brain, but I did have fatigue and some muscle and joint pain. I guess I did have some fatigue with A/C, but I stayed in bed because of the nausea and chemo brain. So I am not sure how much energy I would have had if I had not been in bed for several days after each treatment. Anyway, the first Taxol treatment and side effects were definitely something that I can do and still live a ‘normal’ life. I am not sure what normal it, but I think I am referring to going back to work.

I have been in the school rhythm all my life, so it is natural for me to think about the excitement that surrounds the start of the school cycle. I will not be teaching any classes this fall semester because I will have surgery in October. I hope to help with a few classes and guest lecture when needed. I will also help with ‘other duties’ as needed at the office – I have always wondered about the ‘other duties’ part so now I will find out. My colleagues at Leadership Studies have been awesome in supporting me through this ordeal – actually they were awesome before I was diagnosed, so I am not surprised about the level of support I have received.

I want to give a special ‘shout out’ to my friend and colleague Candi Hironaka – the Queen of Care – for delivering an Asian themed meal last Wednesday. The meal consisted of mah fried chicken (her mother’s recipe), beef sirloin strips in teriyaki sauce, spicy fried rice, cabbage salad, and DQ strawberry freeze stars!!! Yes, it was as scrumptious as it sounds!! When my sisters heard about the meal, they stopped shopping in Kansas City and drove to Manhattan so they could enjoy Candi’s cooking. As you can see from the photo, Myles and Todd joined us for supper, too.

It seems as though many of you are working on your own slogans for the “tah tah, ta ta’s” or “off with the bad-behaving breasts” party. Every time I see one of my blog readers, they want to share an idea for a party slogan!! I love it. Keep up the good work, there might be a prize for the best slogan. Let's not let cancer take our humor from us!

Love to all,
Mary Kay

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Kay
Had not heard of you cancer invasion until Barb called and then sent your blog page. I'm glad to see that your smile is intact as is your terrific sense of humor. Surely with your meet it head on and take care of business attitude you will beat this nasty disease. Hope your new chemo continues to leave you better able to cope with life.
It doesn't seem posible that it has been nearly twenty years since you left the Logan school family.
We will keep you in our prayers and check your blog for reports of your progress.
Love,
Charles and Evah

Anonymous said...

It was such a great privilege to talk to you today after so many days. I am glad to hear the strength of your spirit is undaunted. I do have a few ideas about a slogan but none are appropriate for a public forum. I may decide one day to run for office. Ha ha...
The new head style looks cool. I like, I like it a lot.

Cheers my friend

Ata

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary Kay,

Tell Candi that her son is quite a looker. You all look great in this photo - but Myles..looking fine Candi!
:)

Ade
:)