Friday, September 14, 2007

Busy day on Friday

You have heard me talk about the best massage therapist in the world - of course, that is Nancy's sister Barbara Satchell. Well, today, Barbara had surgery to repair a perforated bowel caused by diverticulitis. Barbara had been sick all week and finally agreed to let us take her to the hospital today. After a few tests, the doctors immediately sent Barbara to surgery to repair her bowel. She came through the two hour surgery just fine and seems to be enjoying the morphine!! The doctor indicated Barbara will probably be in the hospital for 6-7 days because of the serious infection from the perforated bowel. If you want to send Barbara a note, the address is: Mercy Regional Health Center, 1823 College Ave. Manhattan, Kansas, 665o2. She is in ICU right now so I don't know a specific room, but I am sure it will get to her without a room number.



This is a photo of the Fager sisters - Nancy Bolsen, Barbara Satchell, and Jane Bieber. Of course, you know how wonderful Nancy is, but I am telling you now that Barbara and Jane are just as wonderful as Nancy. Barbara has been so good to me during my chemotherapy by giving me massages and energy work whenever I ask for it. She even went to so far as to set up her extra massage table in our bedroom. It doesn't get much better than that!! Jane is a Husker fan from Lincoln, Nebraska. Jane stayed with me after my early treatments with the Red Devil chemo drugs. She fixed meals for Nancy and me and generally took care of things around the house. As you can see, the three Fager sisters mean the world to me because they have given so much to me. There are actually four Fager sisters - their older sister Becky lives in Cut Bank, Montana, but she doesn't get to this area too much.

My special 'shout out' goes to the best massage therapist in the world for a quick recovery. Barbara is an amazing person and very tough so I am confident that she will fight through the infection and surgery and be good as gold in a few weeks.

Love to all,
Mary Kay

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary Kay It's me "Kats - get your ass over here." Joyce Fleming let me know about your cancer condition. I was sorry to hear you have cancer but knew with your positive outlook on life and your die hard spirit you would handle the adversities well. While you've had quite a journey, it sounds like you have done very well. I'm in Luray with Rudy and the three Haberer Hooligans - Elaina - 13 - artistic, coordinated and fit but not athletic driven, rather girly girl; RJ -8- daredevil, very athletic, Mr. Competition; Aundrea -6- brings a smile to your face, witty, social butterfly. I just wanted to let you know that through some of the tough times in my life I looked back on what you taught us as a coach - You can do it attitude, hard work ethic 110% of the time, and you have to know the basics before you can move on. I'll never forget you yelling "ON the line" and then screaming "TODAY" for crushers. Just when we thought we couldn't run anymore, you had us running more to make us dig down within ourselves and see what we are really made of. I really do appreciate and will keep you in my prayers. Take care and God Bless! Rhonda (Kats) Haberer, Luray

PS I remember the "KA" sign we hung in the gym before a tough game. Only you would let us do it and make sure we didn't get in trouble.

Deb Feil said...

... and as a coincidence, Elaina is in my computer class at the Luray School. How the circle of life changes. Will you be strong enough to go to the KSU vs KU game for a while - think we are going to try to make it. Want you to see the Cat Prowler bus that Jason and Ann have. Should be done for that weekend. You are still in my daily prayers and I check this blog DAILY in order to keep up. Love you Mary Kay and remember that you are so very special to so many, including of course me and my family.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary Kay:

What an amazing group of friends and family you have! I've just spent the last two hours reading your blog and want to let you know you are in our thoughts and prayers.

I know you will KICK CANCER'S ASS!!!! and provide the inspiration to many others in the meantime.

My favorite Mary Kay memory is when I was in your speech class at LHS and some days we did lots of things and other days we didn't. One of my favorite activities to do when we weren't too busy was go talk to Thelma. I'll never forget just a few minutes after I arrived in the office, Mr. Dougherty went to get you out of class and bring me back to class!!! Duh. If you're going to skip class, don't go to the office to hang out!

I'm in Hays teaching at FHSU - the things you taught us - Communication Studies! Advertising, Public Relations, Public Speaking, Desktop Publishing and I'm the advertising adviser for student publications.

You can check my ever-growing family out at http://www.andydanastanton.com

Keep up the faith and positive attitude. You kick some ass!

Andy Stanton
lastanton@fhsu.edu

Anonymous said...

You my friend are blessed to have such good friends. It is because you are such a good friend to others. It is a great +ve example of payback in a good way.

Cheers,

Ata