Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Good news on the cancer front - NO evidence of metastases


I had a bone scan and ct scan today at the Westwood Cancer Center in KC and both tests came back with the same result - no evidence of metastases. It is the best 48th birthday present a person could get. I now feel as though I can move forward to a new stage in my life - after cancer. There will always be the possibility of recurrence or metastases, but at least for now things are good. Of course, I will continue on the aromatase inhibitor drug, Femara, for five years. My cancer was estrogen positive so the drug helps reduce the estrogen in my body. It does have it side effects, but they are worth it to keep the cancer from returning.

The only downer from the day was the reminder of all the people at the cancer center who are dealing with this disease. I saw some who looked dazed and confused because their diagnosis was new and they did not know what to expect or where to go. I saw others who looked like the disease was winning. I spoke with one woman who had her cancer return after 12 years of being disease free. I will appreciate my status, but I won't celebrate too much. This disease has a way of humbling a person - I don't want to 'talk trash' with cancer. There are just too many people who are suffering and getting much different news than I received today. I owe it to them to live my life with zest, vigor, and a whole lot of love and laughter. That is the best we can do for others - appreciate the life we have and do the best we can do for ourselves.

As I think back on the past 15 months of this crazy cancer thing, it seems a bit surreal to me. I have to ask myself sometimes if it really happened to me. Did I really get diagnosed with cancer? Did I really go through chemotherapy? Did I really have a bilateral mastectomy? Did I really receive all that love and support from so many family and friends? Did I really learn any life lessons from the ordeal? The answer is a resounding yes to all of those questions. It all happened. I'm guessing it will take me a few weeks to transition to a new way of thinking about myself as a cancer survivor and as cancer free, or as the doctors say - no evidence of disease. I can tell you that spending the last month in Dorrance helping with harvest probably helped me move forward more than anything else could have. Well, maybe spending lots of time on the golf course will help me move forward, too. In fact, I am going to look at golf as part of my 'moving on' therapy. Please let me know if you want to be part of my 'moving on' therapy on the golf course.

Love to all,
Mary Kay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! What fabulous news. If I was closer I would DEFINITELY hit the links with you. Enjoy a few rounds on me, eh?
Ade
:)