Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Happy 1st Birthday to my Blog

Yes, that is right. It is the first birthday of this blog. Can you believe it? One year has passed since I started posting on this sight. And for a lot of you reading this, it has been one year of reading about (or looking at photos) about my life. On the day I received the news that I had cancer, Nancy and I went to Best Buy and bought a camera. I think it was probably an impulse buy. When you get a diagnosis of cancer, it seems as though you will treat yourself to gifts. And what a good gift it has been for me. (As of this moment I have taken 3287 photos with the camera.) I knew I wanted to share my journey with others and a blog seemed to be the way to do that. So, on May 21 I created this blog. I really didn't think about posting photos, but it just seemed to be a good place to share them. Anyway, back to the blog. I have posted 233 times in the last year and YOU have posted 271 comments in that time. All I can say is that I never would have guessed that this blog would become my connection to so many of you. In fact, since I started a site counter last July, my blog has been accessed 14, 896 times. Thanks for being a part of my life and thank you for supporting me in my journey with cancer.

A quick health update - I FEEL GREAT!! In fact, I feel better now than I have in a couple of years. Maybe it has to do with giving up pop or maybe it is just that I am getting my energy back after chemo and surgery and infection. You know this whole ordeal would have been a lot easier if I had not had that damned infection. I have a bone scan and a ct scan scheduled for July 16. If that goes well, I will definitely put this cancer thing behind me. Actually, I feel as though I have put it behind me, but there is just something that is keeping me from throwing away lots of my medicines from the last year even though I am not taking them anymore - I do take femara (the anti-estrogen drug and will take it for five years.) I feel if I do throw them away, that I will jinx myself. So, the medicine is still sitting on my bathroom counter. I think I will leave them there until the scans in July. It is almost as if I am saying that if I leave them on the counter, I will not need them. Do you ever play games in your mind like that?

Happy birthday blog and thanks for everything you have given me.
Mary Kay

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Mary Kay.

I've enjoyed reading about your life this past year. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your health!

We've had our blog for almost one year (june 07).

http://gabemakes5.wordpress.com

Andy Stanton