Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Let the Retirement Parties Begin!!

A few of Nancy's Holton Hall friends took her to Harry's for a retirement get-together today. Nancy has worked in Holton Hall for 17 years as director of Adult Student Services. A few of the friends shared their own retirement stories of sleeping in, reading, water exercise, sleeping in, spending the winter in Texas, sleeping in, telling the kids not to call before 10 am, and fishing. Nancy's last day on the job will be June 13. I am planning a retirement party that I will host at our house - probably some time in early June. Don't worry, I will have it catered - it won't be my cooking. Nancy has turned in to a SASSY woman since she decided to get an adorable haircut and then retire. I am anxiously looking forward to Nancy's next surprise!


The honoree Nancy and her six-olive martini. I think I will start to call her Sassy from now on.


Nancy and her Holton Hall friends: front row - Sue (who is really Leadership Studies as opposed to Holton Hall), Pam, and Andrea; back row - Nancy, Kathy, and Rita. Pam and Rita are retired already so they gave Nancy the good retirement advice.


Sue and Andrea are very good friends to Nancy and me and have done so much for us. Thanks ladies!


I had a little itch on my head


This photo is not related to Nancy's retirement. This is my teaching assistant this semester for my leadership class - Chris Lydick. He and I enjoyed a drink at Harry's after Chris defended his master's thesis today in computer engineering. I attended his defense titled Introducing Enhanced Fully Adaptive Routing Decisions Within Torus-Mesh and Hypercube Interconnected Networks. So, let me just say this, I didn't ask too many questions during the Q&A part. In fact, I am not sure what Chris' project really was but I know it had to do with the way super computers connect and send information. I can barely handle my little MacBook, so there is no way that this whole super computer thing is going to make sense to me. Well, it did apparently make sense to Chris' committee because he passed with flying colors. Chris is going to take a little time off this summer before he heads to University of Washington for a PhD in computer engineering. Now you might be asking yourself why does a computer engineer get a gig teaching with Mary Kay in Culture and Context of Leadership. Well, he recognizes a good time when he sees one! Chris and I had a great time co-teaching this semester. We definitely feel comfortable with each other in the classroom. Chris is a multi-talented young man who will achieve great things in his life and I am SO VERY PROUD of him. In fact, I feel a little 'motherish' to Chris and that is a good thing.

1 comment:

Chris Lydick said...

Mary Kay, Thanks so much for the kind words! I have had such a great time with you this past semester, and love you dearly! You are, without question, A ROCKSTAR!!! :-D