Sunday, May 11, 2008

Two important celebrations on May 11


Today marked a very special day for two reasons: 1) it is Mother's Day and I have the World's Greatest Mom, and 2) it is the one year anniversary of 'finding the lump.' Of course, today I want to give a special 'shout out' to my mom - Velma Siefers. When I think of the way Mom has lived her life, I have to wonder how she ever had the energy to do all she has done. She spent several years as a school secretary in Dorrance - we all know that the school secretary is the most important person in the school. Mom was committed to each and every student who passed through the doors of the school. She was also a supporter to all the teachers and staff members. Mom also served as the post office clerk for many, many years. She worked at the P.O. in the early morning, Saturdays, summer, and any other day that my Dad took off work. You see, he was the post master. Our family had a real monopoly on the postal service in Dorrance. Anyway, back to my Mom. She can talk to ANYONE and usually does. Mom has never met a stranger. She has been a great role model in how to find the good in others. Thanks Mom for being the best Mom in the world. Oh yeah, one more thing. I think I am probably her favorite daughter! I can definitely say that she is my favorite Mom.

Now for the second part of the celebration of May 11. It is amazing to think of how life changed for me just by noticing the little - or in cancer terms - not so little lump in my left breast. I certainly have an appreciation of my privileges in life - health insurance so that I could afford quality medical care, supportive partner and family and friends who made the journey significantly easier, and financial resources to pay for treatment that health insurance did not cover. Many people have asked me if cancer changed me in any way. My answer is that it has made me more appreciative of those things that I just mentioned - my privileges in life. It has also made me question what I want to give my life energy to. That answer has probably changed the most for me in the last year - or it has motivated me to gain clarity on that issue. I have said it before - I want to spend lots and lots of time with family and friends, and I want to spend time doing fun things like golf, gardening, and taking photos so that I can post them to this blog. I hope you have enjoyed them. And I hope you have enjoyed this blog. That's about it for now.

Love to all,
Mary Kay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Velma is something. Along the way, she was a very good bridge player....and a very good cook. She has had a beautiful life with a wonderful husband and wonderful children. and I know she is so proud of her children and grandchildren. Why wouldn't she? I do not believe she is 80; I think she was married when she was 12. the best to all of you. JR