Sunday, July 12, 2009

B-17, The Flying Fortress and thinking of Dad

Several of us visited Salina on Friday to see the B-17 bomber that was on display at the airport. My dad flew 33 missions over Germany on a B-17 bomber during WW II. I wanted to see the plane to learn more about Dad's experiences. You could take a 30 minute ride for $425. I would like to do that someday, but it was so very hot that day that I was a little sick. I didn't want to fly in the less-than-comfortable conditions feeling queasy before I even entered the plane for takeoff. I think I will put it on my bucket list to do in the near future. Dad spent most of his 33 missions in the nose as the bombardier/nose gunner.

I like this view because you can see the tailgunner position and the ball-turret gunner under the belly of the plane.

Can you believe a person sat in this small area of the ball-turret gunner? Needless to say this was a precarious space. Actually, every spot on this plane was a precarious place to be during a bombing run.

We walked through the plane to get the feel of what it was like inside. Garrett is six years old and he can stand up in the plane, but most adults could not stand up straight anywhere in the plane. Garrett is standing over the ball turret gun. There wasn't anything that would make one feel as though this was anything but a big flying tin can loaded with bombs and machine guns. I didn't see anything that had padding or cushions, it was just metal, and bombs, and guns.

The tail gunner position

Susan in front of the B-17

I just could not resist getting my picture taken in front of the B-17. I was thinking of my dad the whole time I was at the show.

In addition to the aircraft, several armed forces divisions had displays. Garrett tried on the night vision goggles

Garrett's grandma, Jo, checked out the display of a soldier's daily gear.

Garrett and friends from Topeka sat in the airport firetruck. Kelly recorded the Kodak moment.

No comments: