Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Day in the Pasture

Wednesday was all about getting pastures ready for cows. Actually, the cows and calves are already in a pasture, but they will be moved to a different pasture after AIing in the next few days. Joey, Garrett, Kendall and I worked for seven hours north of Russell preparing three different pastures for cows and calves. Kendall and I rode the four-wheelers around the fences to make sure there were no holes. The pastures are fairly big so Kendall and I didn't see each other but once or twice all day. Joey and Garrett worked on what is called the 'river gap' or the spot in the pasture where the Saline River runs through it. I took this photo as I worked my way down one of the hills. One of the pastures has very, very steep hillsides and you have to look for just the right spot to go up or down. Joey actually told me of this spot and I was relieved to see old tire tracks so that I knew I was in the right spot. It is not a ride for the faint of heart!

Another view down the ravine.

This is the view behind me.

A little wildlife

Later in the day, Joey, Garrett, Kendall and I rode up the ravine to fix a fairly long string of fence. On the way down, I walked part of the way as it is a little to iffy to have three of us on the four wheeler when the terrain is so uneven. Joey and Garrett both looked a little nervous at the drop off in front of them.

Ah, they made it.

Musk thistle - every farmer's night mare. This noxious weed can take over a pasture if it is not controlled. We stopped near the river to pick the heads and then chop down the plants. Kendall is picking the heads while Joey chopped the plants, you can barely see Joey behind the thistles.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Great commentary and pics! Did you fertilize those thistles last year? They are gaint! MK you are really paying your way this year!