Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I Slept Through Chemo on Tuesday

It was a fast three hours of chemo because I fell asleep at the beginning and slept until the last drip of Adriamycin and Cytoxan entered my body. My niece Jody came to the hospital today to keep Nancy and me company - sorry about falling asleep during your visit Jody. I hope that I can sleep like that for my next six chemo days! Everything went well today - port placement, lab work, doctor visit, thyroid ultrasound and chemotherapy. The only down side of the day was that we did not get home until 9:00 pm.

BUT, when we arrived home, Nancy and I were greeted by her sisters Barbara and Jane AND a wonderful FOMK (friends of Mary Kay) supper supplied by Olivia and Tony. We enjoyed a gourmet meal of pork loin, green beans, carrots, and rice - all cooked in the same dish. It was delicious!! My special shout-out of the day goes to our friends Olivia and Tony! Thank you for your kindness and especially the generosity of the love that you share with us. I am disappointed that I was NOT at home when they delivered the food - I missed the photo opportunity to put them on the blog. I have a feeling lots of my family friends are a little leery of my camera! Don't worry - I have lots of photos that are waiting their turn for the photo of the day.

I feel much better tonight than I did after my first chemotherapy session. My doctor told me my 'fog' last time was probably due to the medications to keep the nausea and vomiting at bay. I suspected that was the case, but she seemed fairly confident that it was a side-effect of medications to deal with the side-effects of the chemo drugs. Yes, it seems like a vicious circle. Nancy's sister Jane is staying with us for a few days - I am not sure if it is to take care of me as much as it is for her to be here for her sister. I know how strong that bond between sisters can be - I feel it with my sisters, too. Our bond is so strong that my sisters don't let me get away with things just because I have cancer!! In fact, they tell me my legs and arms are fine so get up and do the dishes!!!!

Love to all,
Mary Kay

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sweet when you're asleep!
Your breast friend

Deb Feil said...

I worried about you all day - so glad to hear that things went better this time. I'm jealous of that sister-bond thing. You are so very lucky to have such WONDERFUL friends and family. LOVE YOU!

Chris Lydick said...

MaryKay! I've been keeping up with your blog, and wish you all the best while I'm here at Sangria National Labs.. :) I'm eager to give you a humongous hug! Thanks for keeping us all updated! Looks like I'll get to serve you dinner in September sometime!!! LOVE YOU!