Saturday, June 2, 2007

Lots of news to share... So far, so good on the news front. My tests indicate that my cancer is only in my left breast!! Yeah. It is somewhat odd to say that I have good news - I only have cancer in one spot. Yes, it is good news, but it really sent me on another emotional roller coaster. I am appreciative of the fact that right now I only have the breast issue to overcome, however, I feel a little guilty that so many other cancer patients don't have the same good news. As Nancy and I were receiving the good news for me, a young woman (who had obviously been through a great deal of treatment and looked sick and worn out) was sitting in the same area. I could not help but to temper my celebration as I thought of her. On the drive home, I had a difficult time sharing the news - I had the 'why me' syndrome. Why did I only have cancer in one spot when others, like my brother-in-law Joe, had to hear the news over and over about cancer lesions in other parts of their bodies. Maybe that news will be part of my life at some point, but right now I am feeling guilty and asking 'why me' as to only having cancer in my breast. This is truly a journey I am experiencing and I know the emotions will range from one extreme to the next. As I stated in the blog title and description at the top of the page, this is a place for me to update and share information with you, but also to share my feelings and thoughts about this journey as well.

Right now I am planning on staring chemotherapy at KU Med on Tuesday, June 5 - that happens to be my nephew Matt Thielen's birthday. The plan is to take Adriamycin and Cytoxan (once every two weeks for four treatments/eight weeks) and then another four treatments of Taxol for eight weeks. Tuesday will be my treatment day for the next four months. That will be followed by surgery, then radiation, and then anti-hormone treatments for five years. Hopefully, I will follow that routine and be done with cancer forever!!

My experience at KU Med has been great. All of the nurses, doctors, and technicians have gone above the normal call of duty to make things go as smooth as possible for me. One nurse, in particular, deserves a special shout-out. Ruth, the surgeon's clinic nurse, sat and talked with us for 45 minutes as we waited on Dr Conner, the breast surgeon, to return from surgery. I actually learned more about my specific type of cancer in that visit than I learned from the doctors. She went over the pathology reports and explained the results. I have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma; some of the characteristics are: grade 3 (which is very fast growing), ER+ (estrogen sensitive), and Her2 negative (I am not a candidate for Herceptin). Of course, there are other pieces of information, but that is about all I can remember right now. Anyway, later in the afternoon, Ruth actually searched the hospital to find Nancy and me to take us to the MRI early AND then she made the effort (in the MRI department) to find the results of all of my tests!!

It has now been 22 days since I first found the lump. I am ready to get the show started!! CANCER - you are going to get a great big punch in the face from me.

Love to all,
Mary Kay

No comments: