Monday, June 25, 2007

There is only one good thing about chemo - it kills cancer!!

Chemotherapy is tough - don't let anyone tell you differently. It has been a week since chemo #2 and I am just now feeling like I can go out and about. In fact, tonight I went to Panera Bread for dinner with Nancy and Sharon. I did get a few stares with the short hair, but I was OK with it. On the way home from dinner, my car seemed to take on a mind of its own and drove through Dairy Queen. Darn cars nowadays!! It must be that OnStar stuff I see advertised on TV. Anyway, the chocolate-chip shake tasted mighty good.

It was nice to be out of the house, but I did feel a little queasy the whole time. I am hoping that by tomorrow (Tuesday) I will be able to return to 'normal' activities - whatever that is. On Wednesday I go to KU Med for an Ultra Sound of the tumor to see if the chemo is working. I have a good feeling about it because it feels smaller to me!! I am hoping to go to Dorrance Wednesday evening with Sharon and spend a few days with the family during harvest. I will take my camera to document the activity for all to see.

The hair continues to fall out so I will probably have it cut shorter or shaved in the next day or two. My neighbor did ask me tonight if this was my summer haircut. She seemed to like it, but she didn't quite know what to say when I told her I was on chemo drugs. I am going to need to work on a way to respond to people who ask.

I want to give a special shout-out to Todd Wells who visited me today with a very similar looking hair cut as mine. As you can see from the photo, we have the same Russell County hairline. It is amazing that two small-town kids from Russell County ended up working together at Leadership Studies at K-State. Todd is an awesome young man who is doing great things at K-State. Dave and Judy Wells should be very proud of their son!! Thanks Todd for your show of solidarity and support with the new haircut.

Love to all,
Mary Kay

No comments: